|Young children can be traumatized by rumors of the end of the world.|
|2012 rumors scare kids|
|Photo Credit: D. Sharon Pruitt|
In an article available at examiner.com, Sunshine Simmons gives us timely advice on how to deal with a child who has been traumatized by 2012 rumors:
The point isn’t whether or not you believe the end is coming, but how you attack this topic with your children. You must be proactive.
In summary, Simmons says:
- Be confident - don't show fear or anxiety
- Don't make it worse - ie, don't bring up hypothetical situations in which people could die in order to make them see the "bigger picture."
- Give them lots of love
- Establish a bedtime routine
- Write a story about them, and read it to them to help them rationalize their fears
- If necessary, seek professional help
It really is an excellent article, and if you have children we strongly suggest you read the entire article at the Examiner.